Sunday, 7 September 2014

'Floured' Paul Marshall says Tadcaster Albion deserved 3-2 win over Barton Town Old Boys

 Due to a server change, Non League Yorkshire is currently down.

Tadcaster Albion manager Paul Marshall was floured instead of having an ice bucket poured over him after his side's 3-2 win over Barton Town Old Boys
Visit our Facebook page HERE for the full album of photos

Words and pictures by James Grayson (@jamesAgrayson, @NonLeagueNorth)
He may have got floured after the game, but, Paul Marshall believed his Tadcaster Albion side were worthy of the three points in the 3-2 victory over Barton Town Old Boys.
Marshall, who nominated the England Women’s team and the cheerleaders at Leeds Rhinos, took part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with his players following the win and he was the only one doused with flour instead of water and ice.
The Taddy chief took the prank in good spirit and he told Non League Yorkshire: “Well I didn’t any idea that I was going to get floured, I thought we were going to get an ice bucket over our heads.
“It’s the most annoying substance to get off in a shower I’ve ever known.
“I’ll get my revenge! There’ll be a few (people) looking over their shoulders when I get the evidence of who has done it. They’ll cop for one.”
The conditions were already extremely wet when Marshall and his players came back onto the pitch to receive a drenching.
In a game affected by the conditions, his side had taken the lead in the first half through Josh Greening before Scott Phillips the levelled the Toolstation NCEL Premier Division clash.
Taddy were given advice at half-time on how to play and within 12 minutes, Calum Ward and George Bissett had put their team into a seemingly unassailable position.
By now the torrential rain was coming down and it played a part as Joel Sutton set up a nervy finale for Taddy.
Tadcaster left back Paddy Miller was bizarrely yellow carded after just 90 seconds

The referee Rob Atkin then got into a verbal-slanging match with Barton's physio

Barton Town Old Boys striker Scott Phillips looks to carve out a chance for his side

The home side held-on and Marshall added: “The game was won when we decided to pass the ball.
“Barton are a big physical team who go from back to front and we didn’t get the pass down and pass it in the first half.
“We said at half-time that we needed to start working them. Once we started passing it and got it to 3-1 I thought we would go on (and score more).
“Josh missed a chance when he scooped it over the bar. I thought we would see out the game, but, obviously wet conditions and Tom let one slip and it has put a bit of pressure on for the last ten minutes.
“I was like ‘oh my god, I can’t believe we could throw this away’. But, I thought we deserved to win.”
The chances of a spectacle were quickly extinguished by the referee Rob Atkin inside the opening 90 seconds when he harshly yellow carded Tadcaster fullback Paddy Miller.
It set a dangerous precedent and the referee’s strong stance was further shown as he then got into a verbal slanging match with Barton’s physio.
Fortunately the referee did not write the headlines this week as the football did the talking.
Real chances were far and far between until the game came alive midway through the first half.
Phillips went close before Tadcaster striker Carl Stewart, who will miss the next month because of suspension, crossed for Greening to score from close range.
Barton responded on the stroke of the interval. The visitors’ inspirational captain Ash Dexter headed a free kick back across the six yard box and Phillips was there to score.
Calum Ward celebrates putting Tadcaster 2-1 in front

George Bissett is congratulated after scoring Tadcaster's third goal

Tom Claisse made his first start for Tadcaster Albion
Tadcaster Albion prepare for their ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Paul Marshall gets the flour instead of water

Tadcaster Albion's Ice (and flour) Bucket Challenge
Paul Marshall and Josh Barratt stand up after Tadcaster Albion's Ice (and flour) Bucket Challenge

The rain began to play a real role as the second half started as the pitch became heavy.
Barton manager Dave Anderson has bemoaned a series of mad five minutes as a reason for his side’s run of three league defeats on the bounce and that theme of continued.
Ward got the Taddy faithful bouncing by scoring after a scramble and that put the home side in control as Barton were rocking.
Stewart forced a good save out of Ben White and from the corner, the unmarked Bissett headed home.
Taddy sensed more goals and Greening then blazed over from a good position.
The job looked done until Barton received a lifeline. New Taddy goalkeeper Morgan spilled the ball from a corner and substitute Sutton put it in the net.
Barton pushed for an unlikely equaliser, but ultimately Taddy clung on for a third straight league win.
Tadcaster Albion: Morgan, Bissett, Miller, Ormsby, Sparkes, Ingram, Thompson (captain), Claisse, Ward, Stewart (Chamberlain 71), Greening (Barrett 63). Subs unused: Taylor, Lawrie, Hope.
Barton Town Old Boys: White, Sherwood, Gowen, Belcher, Dexter (captain), Ricketts, Owen (Smith 68), Kirk, Barlow, Phillips (Sutton 75), Lattimore. Subs unused: Gill, Paylor, Mortimer.
Referee: Rob Atkin
Ref Rating: 6/10
Attendance: 256
Man of the match: Calum Ward (Tadcaster Albion)

No comments:

Post a Comment