Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Ten-man Worksop Parramore hold-on to win at Glasshoughton Welfare

Calum Ward
Glasshoughton Welfare 0-2 Worksop Parramore
By James Grayson (Twitter: @jamesAgrayson)
Toolstation NCEL Premier Division title favourites Worksop Parramore had to play almost the entire second half with ten men in their win over Glasshoughton Welfare at Leeds Road.
Former Ossett Town captain James Cotterill was sent off two minutes after the break for a lunge on the league’s top goal-scorer Calum Ward.
This put Worksop’s one-goal lead, given to them by Lee Whittington, in doubt. But, Russ Eagle’s team managed to comfortably hold-on and Danny Ingram sealed a deserved victory for Worksop.
Glasshoughton had good spells in the first half, but Welfare’s threadbare team struggled as the second half wore on and assistant manager Mark Smitheringale said: “It was frustrating on the basis that I thought we put in a very good performance, particularly for the first hour of the game.
“I think we showed in the first hour something what has been missing for a few weeks, a lot of energy and a lot more strength, enthusiasm, hunger and desire to win the game.
“When the opposition goes down to ten you would like to think you can take advantage of that and get yourself back into the game. In the first half, the lad scored a good free kick, but I thought we had more half-chances than they had had at that point.
“The game was well-poised, but as often happens in these sort of situations, the opposition going to ten men didn’t help us because they re-adjusted their shape and closed the game.
“When it came down to the crunch we just slightly run out of legs and ultimately we weren’t creating enough in the final third to open them up.
“When you look at the performance, we put in a strong performance. For large spells of the game we matched them and it was pleasing we were a lot tighter at the back and I thought they were there to be beaten.
“But credit to them, the first goal was a superb free kick. The second goal was disappointing from our point of view as we lost our shape a little bit.”
Joel Freeston
The game began in lively fashion with Glasshoughton striker Joel Freeston and Worksop goalkeeper Steve Hernandez being yellow carded following a confrontation.
Then just minutes later, a number of Worksop players led by captain Danny Patterson surrounded referee Gareth Rhodes after a challenge by Welfare captain Darrell Young. Young was shown his fourth yellow card of the campaign.
The early high temperature did lower as the first half progressed and Glasshoughton enjoyed their best spell of pressure around the half-hour mark.
Ward tested the water with a low drive that flew past the post before Welfare’s best chance of the match. Freestone got in behind the Worksop defence and Cotterill did well to track back and make the tackle. The ball went loose and Ward saw the run of debutant Darol Lucas. Lucas made his dash, but upon facing Hernandez inside the penalty area, the midfielder’s effort narrowly missed the target.
Within three minutes Glasshoughton were made to rue the chance. After a foul was given for a high foot on the edge of the box, an in-direct free kick was awarded. Ex Harrogate Town and one-time Farsley Celtic target Whittington was the taker and his strike found the bottom corner – with the help of a slight deflection.
The goal was harsh on Glasshoughton, but Rob Hunter’s side were handed a lifeline straight after the break. Cotterill made the challenge on Ward and referee Rhodes dismissed the experienced defender – on the decision Smitheringale said: “Cotty has gone-in in a forceful way and I’ve seen referees sending people off for that and I’ve seen people get away with it.
“Because of the force and power he went in, he made it easy for the referee to make that decision.”
In the end, the numerical advantage did not help Glasshoughton. With Young and Liam Tuck carrying knocks and unused substitutes John Hirst and David Ward not yet fully fit, Glasshoughton’s thread bareness showed.
And when Ingram’s cross deceived goalkeeper Paul Hagreen to find the net on 60 minutes, the game was won for Worksop.
Glasshoughton Welfare: Hagreen, Beaston, Edwards, Tuck, Low, Donnelly, Lucas, Young (captain), Freeston, Corley (Chappell 62), C Ward. Subs unused: Hirst, D Ward.
Worksop Parramore: Hernandez, Ingram, Tootle, Patterson (captain), Cotterill, Griffiths, Johnson, Haigh, Hill (Forbes-Swindells 82), Whittington (Fletcher 65), C Ward. Subs unused: Bates, Gladwin.

Referee: G Rhodes

Attendance: 70

Man of the match: Danny Ingram (Worksop Parramore)

No comments:

Post a Comment