Friday 20 September 2013

Interview: Steve Jeff enjoying life at Ossett Town

By James Grayson (Twitter: @jamesAgrayson)
Ossett Town left-back Steve Jeff reckons there is a big difference between the Evo Stik Division One North and the Toolstation NCEL Premier Division.
Penalty-kick expert Jeff left NCEL Premier outfit Tadcaster Albion in the summer after scoring 17 goals in Paul Marshall’s side that finished in sixth-place.
But, after Ossett boss Craig Elliott wanted to sign him in the summer, Jeff made the move and after nine games for Town, Jeff said: “It is difficult, but the main thing is I am enjoying.
“It is definitely a step-up as all the teams we have played are very good.
“It is the consistency of the teams and how good they all are (that makes it different from the NCEL).
“There isn’t an easy game, whereas in the NCEL you might get the odd four or five games where you turn up and not play well, but it is quite easy.
“Here at Ossett, every game has been a massive test. I feel I’m doing alright and the team are doing ok. I’ve scored a few goals and set-up a few goals.”
Jeff had been a key player in Marshall’s team had gone from NCEL Division One champions to Premier Division hot-shots over three seasons and he admits it was a difficult decision to leave 2Inspire Park.
“It was a tricky one because I had been at Tadcaster a while and I believed that we had the squad there to win the NCEL, but Ossett were offering me something Tadcaster couldn’t,” he said.
“That was to play at a higher level – something I have always wanted to do. Craig was very forthcoming about his plans for the season – what he wanted the team to do and what he wanted me to do.
“That convinced me to come and give it a crack. It was an out of the blue call I got from Craig. But, my friend Ryan Qualter came mid-season last year and he told me about how much he was enjoying it so when the call came, I said I’d give it a go.”
And while all the focus is on Ossett, Jeff keeps an eye on Tadcaster’s progress and believes even though chairman Rob Northfield left in the summer, Albion can still challenge.
“It is unfortunate because all the lads got on well with Rob as he was a very vocal chairman who outlined what he wanted the team to do,” he said.
“Since he has gone, I keep looking at the results and they seem to be winning games. I keep in contact with the manager and coaches and players there and they have got a good set of lads there so I’m sure they’ll do well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment