Sunday, 10 February 2013

Rugby League: Castleford Tigers 14-12 Leeds Rhinos

Twitter - @jamesAgrayson

A last minute Jamie Ellis penalty gave Castleford Tigers a memorable victory over local rivals Leeds Rhinos at a wet Wheldon Road.

In the driving rain, Ellis converted two late penalties to level the scores and then win the game for Cas, whose supporters will be partying long into the night.

Cas, who endured a terrible campaign last year when they finished second-bottom, will hope that the result is the turning point in coach Ian Millward’s reign.

However, defending champions Leeds will rue not extending their lead after going 12-10 ahead in the second half when Tigers prop Nathan Massey was sin-binned for stealing the ball.

The Tigers were clearly up for the occasion, watched by 9,103 people, and the Castleford fans were given something to cheer about after only four minutes.
A succession of penalties gave Castleford a good position and from playmaker Rangi Chase’s grubber kick, former Leeds man Jordan Tansey pounced to touch-down – Ellis converted the conversion.

Leeds lost Brett Delaney before great link-up between Zak Hardaker and Danny McGuire saw the latter scamper away to bring Leeds’ level.

Despite the blow, Castleford refused to capitulate and edged 10-6 in front before half-time. However, Leeds have only themselves to blame after failing to close Chase down. Chase grabbed hold of the loose ball on the 30m line and the Rhinos defenders allowed the stand-off to run at them. He got through and laid a pass to Jake Webster who had the simple task of touching down.

After the break Leeds had a period of pressure and it told when Massey was sin-binned after a string of infringements. From the penalty, Ryan Hall was able to power his way over the line in the corner for his second try of the campaign. Kevin Sinfield added the extras from a tricky angle to put Leeds ahead for the first time.

But, Leeds failed to build on their lead and as the temperature dropped and the rain got heavier, errors began to creep into the Rhinos’ game. Ellis missed one penalty chance to level the scores before eventually doing so with six minutes remaining on the clock.

And in the final minute, Leeds were penalised for the markers not being square with the penalty being directly in front of the posts. Ellis was never going to miss and he got Wheldan Road rocking with the straightforward conversion.

Castleford Tigers: Tansey; Owen, Shenton, Webster, Carney; Chase, Ellis; Walker, Milner, Huby, Gilmour, Hauraki, Holmes.

Replacements: Clark, Millington, Massey, Thompson.

Leeds Rhinos: Hardaker; Keinhorst, Watkins, Moon, Hall; Sinfield, McGuire; Bailey, Burrow, Peacock, Delaney, Ablett, Jones-Buchanan.

Replacements: McShane, Kirke, Clarkson, Achurch.

Referee: Tim Roby (RFL)

No comments:

Post a Comment