Wednesday 31 July 2013

A desire to stop travelling brought former Doncaster Rovers striker Jason Price to Ossett Town

Jason Price
By James Grayson (Twitter: @jamesAgrayson)

As a professional footballer, Jason Price was always on the road and a desire to “settle down” has led him to Evo Stik Division One North side Ossett Town.
Two weeks ago, the former Bradford City and Doncaster Rovers striker made the phone call to a surprised Ossett manager Craig Elliott offering his services.

Elliott quickly snapped the 36-year-old up to add experience to his young team and Price admits Ossett is the right club for him.
“I’ve been travelling football-wise all my life and I just thought I needed to settle down,” he said.

“I live in Huddersfield now and Ossett is a half-hour away so half-hour for me is literally on my doorstep and I’m happy with that.
“I just thought that I needed to stay local.

“I’m out to enjoy it. I went through a stage at Morecambe where I was playing one game and then missing three and it got a bit frustrating. I was travelling five hours a day.”

Price’s 18-year career started at Swansea City and taken him to the likes of Hull City, Tranmere Rovers, Millwall, among others.

In 2012, Price made a small number of appearances for Steve Kittrick at Guiseley before signing for Prestatyn Town in the Welsh Premier League.
Price left his mark in Wales with two goals in the Welsh Cup Final 3-1 win over Bangor City.

On his time at Prestatyn, he said: “I enjoyed playing for Prestatyn. I scored two goals in a cup final on Welsh TV, how about that!
“I enjoyed it and we were top of the league at Christmas, we were above TNS. But we hit a brick wall and I think we won two games out of the last lot of games.

“Obviously winning the Welsh cup was one heck of an achievement for the club because they went into Europe.
“Possibly (I would have stayed if it hadn’t been for the travelling) as they had a good bunch of lads, but it was two and a half hours each way and then we have Carmarthen and Port Talbot away. I’m 36 now.”

Price made his debut for Ossett at Pontefract Collieries last week and has played in their three friendlies and has been impressed.

“They’ve good a team, a good passing team and that suits me down to the ground,” he said.
“The gaffer said there was a good team spirit and that is all you need.

“It has been a good laugh with the other lads and I think this season they should go quite far.

“It is a level which is a bit new to me, but we’re got a good passing team and we have kept clean sheets in all of our three games so it is looking good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment