Saturday, 20 July 2013

Ossett Albion boss Richard Tracey pleased with showing during Guiseley defeat

Ossett Albion boss Richard Tracey
Ossett Albion 0-1 Guiseley AFC

By James Grayson (Twitter: @jamesAgrayson)
Match Photos are HERE
Ossett Albion manager Richard Tracey was far from deflated despite Guiseley trialist James Burgess’ late goal which secured the Conference North promotion hopefuls their first pre-season victory.  

Evo Stik Division One North side Albion more than matched their higher league opponents and were only undone by a stroke of luck with 15 minutes remaining.
Tracey, who was appointed as the permanent Ossett manager in May, was pleased with his team’s performance and saw many good things in the game at Dimple Wells.

“The real positive was how disciplined we were by keeping our shape and in the first half, in particular, I thought we kept possession really well,” he told Sports Performer.
“I think at times we dominated possession in the first half. Guiseley grew into the game as it went on and obviously nicked the win at the end.

“I think we were the better side in the first half. We played the majority of the game in their half and had the majority of the chances. They had a couple of strikes from set-plays. Other than that, I think we controlled the game really well (in the first half).
“There were a lot of positives for us. 22 players turned out and no-one has let themselves down.

“We didn’t deserve to lose and for the possession that Guiseley created, I don’t think they really hurt us. We had a few chances early doors which maybe we could have done a little better with.
“But it looked like it would end up as a 0-0. But then from a good honest tackle, it has broken for their centre-forward and he’s scored. He took his finish well.”

James Burgess
Burgess’ goal was an unlikely event during a game that saw few chances created.
Ossett defied their underdog status by being the greater threat during the first half. Winger Ryan Harrison, signed from Farsley AFC this week along with centre-midfielder Craig Tonkinson, was a constant nuisance, but when he was substituted, Albion lost his quality.
All Albion goalkeeper Adam Rhodes had to deal with was a free kick from Andy Holdsworth.

The second half was a non-event as neither side threatened until Burgess capitalised on a pass from Gavin Rothery.
With Lions boss Steve Kittrick struggling to sign a centre-forward after the departures of James Walshaw, Josh Wilson and Kevin Holsgrove, Burgess has been given a chance on trial at Nethermoor.
Ryan Harrison
Burgess had a trial at Farsley last summer before playing for Garforth Town during their relegation campaign last season.

The striker is extremely quick and this allowed him to take advantage of his stroke of luck. He sprinted away and finished very coolly as Rhodes approached.

That was it from a game perspective as Ossett never came close to responding. Guiseley nearly added a second goal when a long range Rothery strike cannoned back off the post. However, one goal was enough for Kittrick’s men.
Ossett Albion (from): Rhodes, Nicholson, Tonks, Holt, Owen, Durham, Moxon, A Hayton, Noble, Johnson, Kelly, Jackson, Ringsell, Gay, W Hayton, Poole, Greenhalgh, Harrison, Riley, Tonkinson, Black.

Guiseley: Drench, Holdsworth, Meynell, Burns, Ellis, Webb, Bower, Rothery, Lawlor, Hobson, Marsh. Subs: Giles, Parkinson, Harris, Burgess, Rea, O’Neil, Ible, Harrison, Townsend.
Referee: Ian Johnston

Man of the match: Michael Burns (Guiseley)

No comments:

Post a Comment